Many couples are about to have a baby. They are prepared very well: they’ve bought clothing, diapers, formula, toys and many other things. Unfortunately, many parents forget about their role in their children’s emotional development. Emotional development is an essential area that parents have to be very careful with. This type of development refers to a child’s ability to:
- manage the way he feels
- identify and understand his own feelings
- manage the way he behaves
- accurately read and understand the feelings of others
- be emphatic
- build and maintain good relationships with friends, family members and other people in general
Children that have all these skills, will have a successful personal and professional life. Parents and family members should pay attention to the following instructions:
1. Help their children identify emotions by discussing to their kids about what feelings are, playing games, reading stories and using various daily opportunities. Parents can explain their children how others may feel if their toy is broken, but there are many other examples.
2. Parents and other family members should teach their kids ways to cope with emotions, mainly if they are negative. Parents should also explain their children why it’s not right to hit others. They should also give them alternatives. This way, a child will learn to control his emotions and he will also know what to do when he is involved in various situations.
3. Children should also know about gender roles. Generally, parents do that by dressing their girls in red or pink and their boys in blue. Nonetheless, this isn’t enough. It’s very important, mainly as kids grow up, to know the differences between boys and girls. If they won’t manage that, they will be isolated by their peers or will interact viciously as they grow. Family members and parents can help their children do that through discussions, television shows and many discussions.
4. Helping kids put their feelings into words and encourage them to discuss about situations that make them feel happy, angry, worried or excited.
5. Communication is one of the most important things. Those kids who cannot interact or talk with others, will have to struggle socially. Children should know how to talk to other people, respect them and understand body language. All these things will help them have great social interactions in years to come. Additionally, they will have a positive attitude towards life and their communication skills will be improved. Obviously, this will help them with their personal and professional life.
Parents can become more bonded to their kids when their children are infants if they respond fast to their infant’s cries, respond generally in a positive way, guess what their child needs when he cries and spend more quality time interacting with their kid.